Holy Ghost Parish
Soon after their arrival in Canada, Ukrainian immigrants set about establishing places of worship. In 1912, a liturgy inaugurated the opening of the Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Whitney Pier. Before a church could be built, services were held in Holy Redeemer Roman Catholic Church. Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church was built in 1913, at the corner of West and Swan Streets in the Whitney Pier district of Sydney. The first hall was built in 1928, behind the church. In 1932, a fire destroyed the first Holy Ghost church. A new church was opened in 1933. A new hall was built in 1962 to replace the old one; it stands at 51 West Street, adjacent to the church. The church and its hall provide a place of prayer for the community, a meeting place for a variety of activities, and a performance venue. Another church also served many Ukrainian immigrants and their families. St. George’s Orthodox parish was established in the 1910s; it was open intermittently until it finally closed in 1952. Many families who had participated in St. George’s then became members of the Holy Ghost community.